Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Poppop

It's been two months since I last blogged. I was doing so well with sharing and being up to date on our happenings, big and small. But sometimes life really does just 'get in the way.'

On the 6th, it will be one month since my grandpa passed away. His health had been going downhill for years, but this all happened so quickly. I don't think you can ever be prepared to lose someone, no matter how natural or surprising their death is.

Poppop, as some of us grandkids call him, was a generous and successful man. He worked his entire life for his wife and eight children (my dad being the only boy). He was a talented musician, served in the army, fought in the Korean war, was a motorcycle cop in Manhattan, and later built a multimillion dollar pest control company with his son, my dad. Poppop always worked hard and was always so giving. He never needed the recognition either. He just did it whatever he could to help and bless people.


It's difficult adjusting to life without him here. I've had him my entire life. It's the strangest thing to go visit my grandma and he's not there, the evidence of him slowly fading. I miss him a lot. I think about him a lot. And I dread Thanksgiving and Christmas without him. Our family is so changed. I know he's no longer in pain and we will see him again one day, but our days here without him are still going to be tough for a long while.

 
 
But I am so grateful that Jude was able to meet my grandpa. It saddens me that he won't remember him, but I have some beautiful photos of them together. Poppop loved Jude so much. I could just see it in his face when he would hold him that there was something special between them. It always touched my heart and I'll always carry those memories with me. I'll make sure Jude knows how loved he was.




I love you, Poppop. Give Avery a kiss for me. <3

0 comments: