Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Glucose test

On Friday, June 24th (25w5d), I took the glucose test to check for gestational diabetes. I got the lab order for it from my doctor at my appointment last week. That's as far as I got with Avery. I got the lab order and she was gone before I even had a chance to think about going in for the test. I remember how much I dreaded the idea of having to take the test, out of fear of having gestational diabetes.

This time I felt grateful to make it to the test, though I still felt the same way about possibly having diabetes. But even if it turns out that I do, that will definitely not be the worst thing that's ever happened, especially where pregnancy is concerned. In so many ways, I really don't care what I have to through, as long as Jude is safe and healthy. My concern for my comfort and ease of time definitely take a backseat.

On Friday, my appointment for the two hour test was at 9:15. For some reason, I barely slept the night before. I don't know if I was nervous about the test or what. Daniel came with me, of course. I love how he's a part of everything, even the tedious things. I first had four vials of blood taken and then had five minutes to drink the 10 oz of orange glucose. It wasn't very pleasant, but I guess it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. They let us sit in our own little private room with two recliners. I was pleasantly surprised! I was assuming we'd have to sit in the waiting room the whole time.


After one hour, I had to get another vial of blood drawn for my sugar levels. Then back to the little room to wait again. I was glad that the glucose didn't make me sick. Apparently some people throw up or get dizzy from it! The second hour passed rather quickly and another vial of blood was taken and we were free to go. I didn't know I wouldn't be getting any results while I was there. I guess I'll have to wait until my OB appointment on the 30th to find out.

I do feel a bit nervous. I really don't want to hear that I didn't pass the test. I know most people go for a one hour first, but mine was two. I don't know what kind of difference that makes. Maybe that just gives me more time for my body to process the sugar, eliminating a false positive and an unnecessary three hour test. I'm not sure. But I really do pray that I don't have diabetes. I know it's manageable and worse things could happen. But I feel like I have enough to deal with just keeping Jude alive. Almost like it would be unfair to have that on top of everything. I already have Lovenox shots each day. I can't imagine if I had to worry about insulin if it can't be corrected with crazy dieting where even many fruits are forbidden. I just want to be able to focus on Jude and not myself. I don't want to have to worry about me beyond what I already do. Worrying about my baby's health takes enough of me. But, of course, as always, I'll do whatever it takes for Jude. Discomfort is a very small price to pay.

1 comments:

Leah said...

I didn't think the glucose test was as bad as advertised either. I figure if you don't feel any bad reaction to it, you're probably normal. Still sucks waiting, though.